Sunday, September 14, 2008

"Czech Stare" published in Prague Post


In 2001, after studying in Prague and doing an internship at the Prague Post, I pitched a story to the newspaper. I always watched the Czech people staring at me on the metros and trams and wanted to look further. I created a camera that I wore around my waist and created these images of the Czech people staring at me.

Here is my story and images that were published:


Their eyes are everywhere: on the metro, walking on the streets, in cafes. Prague residents have a penchant for staring. And they do it well.
Perhaps most interesting is that the staring is not done out of animosity or prejudice, but rather it is a form of communication. While some visitors to the city may find it odd or even rude, the stare appears to be an unalterable fact of Prague life.
"You know, I didn't even think about that," says a city dweller when asked about this habitual staring. " I am constantly staring at people. In fact, it is what i like to do most." The unrelenting gazes may make some public transport users wish for the relative privacy of a car. But then they wouldn't have the opportunity to stare back and experience the silent communication of eye-to-eye contact.

If the eyes are the windows of the soul, then the stare is an invitation into the Czech spirit. In these eyes, it's possible to catch a glimpse of the nation's character and history-if you look hard enough.

No comments: